Wednesday, November 11, 2009

One Step Forward, One Step Backward

I sit her typing, trying to pass the time as Lisa attempts once again to get Abigail to eat.  Today has been a frustrating day, as Abigail has decided that she no longer likes to eat for longer than three minutes at a time.  Or, when she does try to eat, it's as if she's forgotten everything she's learned about latching on.  It's strange.  She'll have one great day of nursing, and the next is a trial.  One step forward; one step backward.

This nursing roller-coaster, of course, gives us great anxiety, as her gaining weight (she's the daintiest non-premie baby I've seen here) is one of the milestones we must pass to get out of her.  I've actually pondered rigging the scales!  As great as this place is, sometimes it feels like a jail cell--that is, a jail cell that happens to be on very expensive real estate with all kinds of great restaurants surrounding it!  So, no, we don't have it too bad.  Of all the places to be locked up in, Palo Alto places first on the list of the Ten Best Places to Serve Time.  Then again, it's not home, and we yearn for home.  Until that time comes, I'll keep typing and Lisa will keep trying to feed our sweet little Abby (just a minute ago, she started feeding her with a syringe).  Good night.


Thank heavens for laptops and wireless internet


4 comments:

Aim said...

I'm so sorry that yesterday was a hard nursing day. Lisa is such a trooper, I proud of her for trying so hard to get Abby to nurse. I hope today goes better!

JoNell said...

Hang in there. I remember well the trials of trying to nurse a child that wasn't that much interested in eating. It doesn't help that you are in a hospital room and not your own home. You are amazing parents and we are praying for you to be able to come home soon.

The Simmons Family said...

I am SO proud of Lisa for continually working with Abby to get her to nurse. Most heart babes don't want anything to do with it after all they've gone through. I gave up on the idea of nursing Owen. I pumped and pumped and they gave him my milk until I couldn't pump anymore. Lisa is amazing!!!

I pray that Abby will gain the necessary weight to go home and then she was certainly feel more comfortable, surrounded by her family, and I'm sure she will nurse like a champ!!!

Steffani said...

I am sorry! Nursing is hard enough with a baby who hasn't seen any of the body-altering, changes, trauma that Little Abby--and all of you--have gone through. We'll keep praying!