Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Back to The Story: A Blessing from President Eyring


Grandma Reeves with Abigail

I woke up Wednesday morning, feeling a bit of anxiety as I knew that the cardiologist and surgeons were meeting to discuss a strategy for fixing Abigail’s heart. Lisa and I arrived at the hospital at about 12:00 p.m. I required her to finally get some rest for the first time in 48 hours, while I ran the kids from our hotel at the U of U down to school in Orem. We had brought them up on Tuesday night to the hotel so that we could be with them and so that Samantha (our only over 14) could see Abigail.

When we arrived at the hospital, we met with a few cardiologists, a Dr. Day and a “fellow”—which must mean some kind of a resident doctor. They had prepared a drawing of Abigail’s heart, and began to explain the issues that I had described above. They informed us of their intent to perform the catheterization, explained the risks and rewards of the procedure, and then asked for our consent. As they talked, my anxiety subsided and even though we began to understand some of the risks of the procedure, we again felt peace.

After the cardiologists left, I began to think that I wanted to give Abigail another blessing in preparation for the first procedure. I don’t know that it is doctrinal that two priesthood holders need to be present to give a blessing, as I have often been the sole priesthood holder present when I have anointed and blessed my sick children and spouse. However, the custom of having at least two priesthood holders is a good one, as the more worthy priesthood holders that can participate can only add to the spirit and faith that is present during such blessings. I thought about calling my father, but I didn’t want him to make the drive again, so I search my mind for friends that I might have in the Salt Lake Valley.

My mind and heart turned to John Eyring, a missionary companion from Holland, a dear friend who—despite the fact that geography (he spent most of the last 10-12 years in Boston), family, career, and church responsibilities have made it almost impossible for us to consistently communicate—is a kindred spirit, whom I admire on an intellectual, social, and spiritual level. I sent John a text, telling him about Abigail’s condition, and asking him if he could come an assist me in giving her a blessing. He responded about 20 minutes later that he was in California but that his “#2 man” would be there in an hour. His “#2” man was his father, President Henry B. Eyring, whom John had called and asked to assist in the blessing.

I’m one of the millions of people who have a special fondness for President Eyring. It’s impossible to hear the man speak and to sense his authenticity and not feel attracted to his spirit. Beyond that, I’ve had a few occasions to meet President Eyring. One of those events was at my missionary homecoming sacrament meeting, where he was kind enough to show up to support one of his son’s missionary friends. He spoke at that meeting as well, and I will never forget what he said. I remember him taking notes as he listened to the various speakers, including myself.

President Eyring arrived shortly after 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday. We spoke briefly about her condition before we entered the room, and then President Eyring and I pronounced a blessing upon sweet Abigail. I anointed, and I asked President Eyring to give the blessing. Some time in a more sacred forum, I’ll share with you what he said during and after the blessing, but suffice it to say that the experience only amplified the peace that we have felt since I first gave Abigail a blessing in the nursery in Orem.

No comments: