Monday, October 26, 2009

Fourth Update from Jeff

It was a quiet Sunday in Palo Alto. I went to Sacrament meeting, and Lisa stayed with the baby. After church, I took a meditative drive through Stanford Campus. What a beautiful place to go to school.  Kids, keep your grades up! 

While I was at church, Lisa got to meet the Attending Physician, Dr. Bennitz, who gave the first set of expectations we've received since arriving. He said, "Your daughter's heart is going to require a level of creativity that will require some time and careful planning. It it likely that you won't even be on the docket for surgery for at least 3-4 days. You'll likely be in California for 3-4 weeks." Then again, this is the neonatalogist speaking, and we haven't really spoken much with cardiology or surgical staff. So, I wouldn't start penciling in any dates.

We were already mentally prepared for a month stay at Stanford, but the words did seem a little overwhleming nonetheless. And then the ultimate question is, once we are "on the docket" how long will it be thereafter that the surgery is scheduled? I must say that I chuckled a bit with the doctor's choice of words--"your daughter's heart is going to require a level of creativity." Primary Children's had prepared us for the perspective, and that is why they have sent us here.

I am curious, though, as to how our surgeon is going to look at this. Will he be excited by the challenge, by the "creativity required" to fix our daughter's heart? Or will her heart scare him deep down inside--whether he admits it or not. Is he the competitor that wants to take the figurative last shot with his team's season on the line, or is he a superstar that wants nothing to do with the ball, down by one with ten seconds to go? I'll assume the former, primarily because I trust the physicians at Primary Children's who sent us here--and because it makes me feel better to think that he's the kind that wants to take that last shot, the who enjoys the pressure of saving the day. Because the pressure will be on him during what I hear should be a 12 hour surgery.

I'll close with a few images from the day:



Mama, elegant as ever


Daddy loves his girl


Abby is taking a pacifier nicely


Stanford Campus

6 comments:

debi said...

I am dying to know if you can pick her up at all. Can you hold her?

I cannot even imagine how 'divided' you two must feel between kids at home and baby in CA.

Blessings on you 3. As always know we are praying for you.

Steffani said...

I can't believe that picture of her with the pacifier! How precious! As Humanities and English majors, you both and I have always loved the "creative." I've just never thought about science, OR SURGERY in that way before, but God is the ultimate "creative" being, so it is obviously IN everything. I know His creative hand will guide theirs and they, as well, will "be surprised at what they can do." Amazing. Love you all. We went again to the temple this morning and put Abigail's name in. Steffani

Wendi said...

Amy let us know about what has been happening with Abigail. First of all, I have to say that she is absolutely beautiful. We are praying for Abigail and for your family. We love you guys and even though we don't see each other often, we consider you some of our dearest friends. Please let Lisa know how much I love her and my heart is with her. My cousin Michelle (whom Lisa has met) lives about 10 minutes from the hospital you're at and she says her friend's little girl has been there twice for open heart surgery and they are the best.
I have passed on Amy's message to others that I know would be interested and so far I have heard back from Jennifer Forest, Michelle Stone, Rob Wallace and Charles Bradshaw, all who send their love and prayers. I'll try and figure out a way to post their comments here for you to see.
Love you all,
Wendi and John

Aim said...

That picture of Abby holding her pacifier is so cute, she is so cute! We put Abby's name in at the temple when we went on Sat. night. We love you guys!

Liz, in New York said...

All of the Gleason girls are praying our hearts out for sweet Abigail and for Sami, Jeffrey, Daphne,Emma, and Jeff and Lisa, too!

We love you guys so much. We are already inspired by your faith which emanates from every word that you write and every image that you post.

Mama Judy said...

Hi, darlin' Reeves,
What an inspiration to read your thoughts and words at this amazing, out-of-reality time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Everything at your house looks good and Grandma Stoddard is definitely doing a great job.
Abigail is beautiful! I'm seeing Daphne in that cute face.
We're right next door if Grandma needs a tag team. Love to you all,
The Grows