Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Waiting Game

It is 12:00 p.m. at Lucile Packard.  At 7:30 this morning, they rolled Abigail from the NICU to the operating room.  We walked with her and the anaesthesiology team to just outside the door of the operating corridor, where we were lead in one direction, and Abby continued on in another direction. 

The walk from NICU was brutal.  I tried to be a tough male and hold back the tears, but that didn't last too long. I tried to not look at Abigail or Lisa, because both faces would bring me to tears.  However, I couldn't help it--the pull was too strong. 

Abigail was peaceful and awake as she was rolled to surgery.  Her eyes were open, searching, as she seemed to take it all in.  After we parted, they checked us into the Family Waiting Room, gave us a pager, took our cell phone number, and told us to get comfortable. 

Dr. Reddy went into surgery at about 9:00 a.m.  It has been three hours now. The surgery is supposed to take five to six hours.

We met Dr. Reddy for the first time just before 9:00 a.m..  He's a pleasant and warm man. He seemed confident and eager to perform the surgery.  As I met with Dr. Reddy, I had the same feeling of peace that I have had after and during every single consultation with a physician going back to our time at Primary Children's.  I continue to be amazed by that. 

Dr. Reddy said that the odds of a sucessful surgery were 95%.  I like those odds.  We were just given an update as I type this post.  Surgery called the waiting room to report that things were going well.  How kind of them to take time to do that.  I have been so impressed that at Lucile Packard and at Primary Children's the care-givers have been so sensitive to the parents.

So, here we sit, waiting for more information.  It is such a surreal feeling.  Lisa and I had looked to this moment with some terror. Prior to today, the thought of sitting here, waiting--particularly "the moment" the Surgeon comes to report on the outcome of the surgery--seemed simply agonizing.  I'm sure "the moment" will still be agonizing, but for now we are at peace, which we know is the result of hundreds of prayers and fasts in ours and Abby's behalf. We love you all for that.

3 comments:

Aim said...

I have left many comments today, I have shed many tears for Abby, Lisa and Jeff. I am anxiously waiting for "the moment" too. The internet and phone is so nice to have such instant updates, I'm going to keep on checking, and keep the phone close by. Love you guys!

Mindy Hill said...

Oh thanks so much for the updates. We all appreciate more than you know, being able to know what is going on. Still praying, and sending all our love our way!

Carrie said...

Our family keeps hitting "reload" on Abigail's blog for updates. We're thinking of you all and keeping you in every prayer.