Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Story Behind the Middle Name

Abigail was an easy choice of first name, and we assigned it to her as soon as we learned she was a girl. Long before Lisa got pregnant, I had read David Mccullough’s John Adams, and learned to deeply appreciate both John and Abigail’s beautiful relationship, but also Abigail’s often unsung contribution to the founding of the country. She was intellectual, spiritual, and practical—a great woman. I told myself after reading John Adams that if we ever had another girl, we would name her Abigail, after my hero Abigail Adams.

For some reason we struggled mightily with the middle name, and never felt completely comfortable with anything; that is, until we arrived at Primary Children’s hospital. In the lobby of Primary Children’s is a photo of Anna Rosenkilde, Abigail’s great-great-great aunt. Anna was the first head nurse at Primary Children’s in 1922. She remained the head nurse here for 24 years. Patients and staff affectionately referred to her as “Mama Rose.” Thus, the origin of Abigail Rose. Because Primary Children’s has been such an important part of Abigail’s life thus far, Rose seemed like the perfect tribute to an ancestor who played an important role in establishing the hospital as the premier children’s care facility in the region.





Lessons Learned So Far


Lisa and I had a feeling that this baby was something special—after all, we had no business getting pregnant with an IUD that was firmly in place. After three years had passed since the birth of Emma and after hundreds of prayers regarding the matter, Lisa and I felt silence from heaven on the matter of whether we should have another child. We felt that we were done bringing children into world, sold the crib, and started to prepare for a new phase of life. And then we learned in February that number five was on its way.

So, Abigail is indeed special. Let me highlight some of the way in which she is blessing our family right now.

First, within minutes of us learning of some of the complications, the prayers and faith of many friends and family began to pour in. We were alerted via text, email, and phone calls of the faith that was being exercised in our behalf. I experienced the most amazing sensation throughout that first night of complete uncertainty. I had heard people in crisis thank those that have prayed for them, saying something to the effect of how they can feel the power of that prayer. I didn’t understand what they meant by that, and frankly, in my spiritual immaturity I discounted their statements a bit, believing that they were just trying to find a way to say thank you to those who were thinking of them. But I was wrong, and I completely misunderstood the very nature and power of prayer.

I could feel physical manifestations of the prayers and faith of the many that were praying and fasting for our Abigail. I knew that prayer worked, for I’ve seen it work small and large miracles countless times. I’ve always known that faith is a literal power. I know that the spirit is a real substance, consisting of the finest, more refined matter in the universe. I know all of that, so I’m not necessarily surprised by what I have learned regarding prayer. But the exhilarating lesson that I've learned was that the prayers and faith of righteous people have immediate, physical impact on things. Prayer has the ability to control and manipulate the elements. I said earlier that God is the greatest scientist in the universe, and that he has complete control over all elements and matter. Prayer is our conduit, our access, to controlling those elements.

Second, I learned again that one of the greatest miracles that occurs is the peace we can feel in times of complete uncertainty. As I gathered my children that first evening, and, with a quivering voice, related the state of Abigail’s condition, I taught them what I was I feeling: I had a peace that only the Holy Ghost can give that has assured me that despite the outcome we would not be left alone, and that this experience would help our family reach its ultimate goal of being together forever.

The Holy Ghost does not only reveal truth—though I am grateful for that function alone—but he also imbues a peace that cannot be counterfeited. Though I find myself occasionally nervous that I may not be initially happy with the outcome of this situation, Lisa and I have been carried and continued to be carried by the quiet calm and peace that the Holy Ghost provides.

We are so grateful to all of you for your faith and prayers. It works. It matters. Please continue to exercise that faith in our behalf. I could go on for another three pages for all the things I am thankful for right now, but this update is already eight pages. We will continue to update and share with you as things progress.

Love, Jeff.

No comments: